FOUNDER / SEO CONTENT MANAGER
New Media Words
Services include SEO copywriting, social media account management, ebook writing, press releases, and more.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Note: Links to Writing Samples Listed Below
• General Writing: As the founder of an online copywriting agency, my writing ability is broad. Ive written hundreds of articles on diverse subjects, eg, from web articles on cloud computing and liability insurance; to ebooks on SEO and pay-per-click; to sales copy on medical devices and mortgages.
• Niche Writing Experience: Small Business/Entrepreneurship, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Digital Media/Marketing, Social Media, Real Estate (Foreclosure/Mortgages), Personal Finance (Credit Repair/Bankruptcy), Career (Recruiting), and Travel (I'm American but live internationally (Jamaica) and have traveled extensively).
• Expert SEO Content Provider: I developed and teach an online (SEO) writing course; and have written and self-published several ebooks in this niche.
• Social Media Savvy: I understand that great copy is only the beginning. It must be strategically distributed to get quantifiable results.
• Deadline Driven: I started my career in editorial in trade publishing (legal), hence understand the need to adhere to strict deadlines.
• Expert Research Skills: I have a proven ability to deftly research topics and craft easy-to-understand, actionable copy.
• Soft Skills: Networking, communication and negotiation.
• Computer: WordPress, Windows, WordPerfect, Word, Works, Excel, Microsoft Office, Basic Web Design & Development, Newsletter Design (Constant Contact, AWeber), Coding (HTML).
• Author: The Ultimate Freelancer's Guidebook (Adams Media, Fall 2016); Self-published author of over 50 ebooks.
SEO Content Manager, New Media Words (2007 Present)
New Media Words (NewMediaWords.biz) is an online writing company. Services include, but are not limited to, content writing and social media account management. Responsible for:
• Creating search engine-optimized content for multiple digital platforms to correspond with client editorial calendar(s)
• Managing social media accounts (update, source content for, write optimized content)
• Mining, curating and auditing content for client blogs, newsletters, websites and special reports
• Performing keyword and meta data research for digital content
• Researching and writing brand-specific reports and booklets for client seminars, websites, blogs and newsletters
• Consulting with clients to create results-oriented content marketing strategies, and to ensure content is delivered on a timely basis
• Creating and maintaining a directory of client content sources and contacts
• Recruiting/sourcing qualified SEO and social media talent to complete client orders
• Editing, copy editing, proofreading and other editorial quality control measures of completed projects
• Writing/negotiating freelance contracts; invoicing and billing clients
• Paying freelance writers and other contracted talent
• Creating internal company newsletters; updating blogs and social media accounts
Regional Director of Recruiting & Operations: Atlanta, GA (2006 2007)
Hybrid sales and recruiting role for new branch office. Duties included:
• Developing new client accounts, primarily through networking, community outreach and cold calling
• Negotiating client and employee contracts (billing rate, hourly rates, terms of payment, etc.)
• Interviewing and expeditiously matching candidates with appropriate clients for temp, temp-to-perm and direct-hire assignments
• Performing drug tests and background checks; conducting reference checks and verifying credentials (educational, certifications, etc.)
• Attending and coordinating job fairs
• Assessing hiring tendencies for various industries throughout the metro-Atlanta area
• Analyzing salary trends for temp, temp-to-perm and permanent hires
Owner/ Manager / Recruiter, Inkwell Editorial: New York, NY (1997 2004)
Full management duties for this boutique editorial staffing agency and outsource agency. Duties included, but were not limited to:
• Recruiting, interviewing and hiring freelance talent, as well as temp personnel to go onsite (clients included Matthew Bender (Lexis Nexis); Random House; McGraw-Hill; and McKinsey & Company, among others)
• Creating training materials; testing potential applicants (proofreading, editing, writing); web layout and design
• Creating, developing and teaching classes in SGML coding and Chicago-style proofreading
• Developing marketing strategies; creating, adhering to and maintaining company budget; handling accounting and payroll
Restructured company in 2004 as an online, educational portal for editorial freelancers (primarily freelance writers), partially due to the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks
Publishing Operations Specialist, Matthew Bender (LexisNexis): New York, NY (1987 1997)
Handled every aspect of taking releases from manuscript to bound-book (paper) form. Duties included:
• Microcoding charts/forms; sizing illustrations; page tagging; writing filing instructions and glossaries
• Copyediting; proofreading; mass keyboarding; inputting legal editor corrections
• Coding releases (SGML) and creating codes/specs for publications
• Preparing tape mount and download requests; running MMS merge and de-merge programs
• Coordinating editorial and publication calendar with legal editors on various titles including Bankruptcy Law, the Index Medicus, and Banking Law
Note: Long-term relationship ranging from part- and full-time employee, to company becoming a client of my editorial staffing and outsource firm (Inkwell Editorial)
Licensed Real Estate Agent: NY, New York
Mortgage Consultant: Atlanta, GA
Home Decor / Interior Design
Digital Media: SEO Writing
Digital Media: Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Digital Media: Content Marketing
Digital Media: Social Media